Meditation is to the mind what wellness is to the body. It’s a procedure to prepare and enhance the mind as exercise trains the body. Like exercises, there are various meditation techniques. However, most are categorized as the below:
1) CONCENTRATION MEDITATION
2) MINDFULNESS MEDITATION
Benefits of meditating have been proven to include:
– More happy feelings
– Lower heart rate
– Less perspiration
– Slower respiratory rate
– Lower anxiety
– Lower blood cortisol levels
– Less stress
– Deep relaxation
– Lower blood pressure
– Improved blood circulation
HOW TO START MEDITATING:
- Sit comfortably. You may even want to invest in a meditation chair or cushion.
- Close your eyes.
- Make no effort to control the breath; simply breathe naturally.
- Focus your attention on the breath and on how the body moves with each inhalation and exhalation.
- Notice the movement of your body as you breathe. Observe your chest, shoulders, rib cage, and belly. Simply focus your attention on your breath without controlling its pace or intensity. If your mind wanders, return your focus back to your breath.
- Maintain this meditation practice for three to five minutes to start. Aim to increase this and ideally be up to ten minutes within the first month.
- Schedule in daily, and make sure you are not disturbed.
You can visit us at Rishikeshvinyasayogaschool.com to learn more anytime.